Chocolate. Its always a winner, and whether your living in the UK and want to make something special for Fathers Day this weekend or you just want to indulge with your friends, we've got just the thing for you!
These triple chocolate cakes are moist, light and oh-so decadant. The Nutella frosting is super indulgent and the chocolate topping finishes them perfectly. They're super easy to make and ice - you can have them ready within the hour!
To make these weekend delights you'll need;
For the cakes (yields around 22-24 muffins)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1/2 cup boiling water
For the frosting;
1 1/2 cups butter (room temperature)
1 Cup Nutella
5 Cups Icing sugar
3 Teaspoons Milk
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Essence
You will also need;
A few of your favourite chocolates - we used Ferrero Rochers and dark chocolate chunks!
1. Preheat your oven to 350F and line two 12 pan muffin trays with your favourite muffin cases.
2. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Mix to combine.
3. In a separate bowl combine the milk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla until fully mixed then add into the flour mixture and fold until combined and smooth. Add the boiling water slowly. Your batter will be thin and runny.
4. Transfer the batter to a jug and split evenly between the muffin tins. Using a jug makes this easier as the spout will give you more control when pouring.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out almost clean (with just a few crumbs on it).
6. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Prepare the frosting while the cakes are cooling.
1. Start to combine the butter and icing sugar - add in the vanilla and if the mix is too stiff add a couple of teaspoons of milk.
2. Once it starts to turn creamy, add in the Nutella and combine until thick and velvety. We couldnt help but taste!
3. If you want a more rustic look to the cakes you can smooth the icing onto the cake with a knife. Otherwise, pop the icing into a piping bag and pipe it onto the top of the cake with your favourite nozzle.
4. Finish the cakes by topping them with your chocolates - press them into the icing firmly to stop them from sliding off.
You can present your cakes however you like best. We've pulled off the muffin cases and placed them onto floral napkins and porcelain saucers - but dads would probably prefer 3 or 4 stacked up! We also think they look great with our Bella&Bear pieces setting them off!
We hope you enjoyed this recipe and that you have a fantastic Fathers day however you spend it. Don't forget you can find the Bella&Bear pieces shown here listed in our online store and that you can tag us on Insta (@Bella_andbear) with your delicious recreations!