Its February! And, whether you'll be celebrating Valentines with someone special, or your besties, then we think you'll agree that these Vegan Valentines shortbreads are the perfect treat! They've got ooey-gooey caramel, crumbly biscuit and cute heart sprinkles, too! Bake them with us today!
For your shortbread base;
- 200g Dairy Free Butter
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 275g Plain Flour
For the caramel filling
- 100g Dairy Free Butter
- 100g Brown Sugar
- 400g Vegan condensed Milk
To decorate the top
- 300g Chocolate (vegan)
- 100g White choc (vegan)
- Pink Food Dye
- Love heart sprinkles
To make it;
- Lets start by preheating our oven to 180C(160 Fan) and line your tray with parchment paper.
- Now lets begin with the shortbread. Cream the butter (we use a stork block as it is vegan!), and sugar together until it is fluffy!
- Now, add in the flour and 'rub' it in with your fingertips until the mix looks like breadcrumbs.
- You can then press this into your tin firmly to line it, and then bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until it looks golden and delicious!
- Once that is baked, allow it to cool in the tin.
- Lets work on the caramel now. Take a large saucepan and add in your dairy free butter, sugar and the vegan condensed milk. Melt it all together on a medium heat.
- Now, turn the heat up slightly and allow the mix to boil for around 5 minutes, until it has turned golden and thickened up. Be sure to constantly stir your mix to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
- You can then pour your caramel onto the cooled shortbread and allow it to set in the fridge for about an hour.
- Once it is all set you can begin melting your vegan chocolate (we did this over a double boiler but you could alternatively do it in a microwave). Once it is melted pour it over the caramel and set aside.
- Then, melt the vegan white chocolate and add in a couple of drops of pink food dye. Once it is your perfect colour you can dollop the pink mix randomly over the top of the plain chocolate,
- Then, using a toothpick, pull it through the pink patches and pull downward, then across to create some pretty patterns on the top of your chocolate.
- To finish we sprinkled on some candy heart sprinkles! You can then pop it back into the fridge to set until you are ready to slice and serve!
These will look adorable stacked up on display at your Valentines get-togethers or even popped into a little treat bag to gift your friends and loved ones!
Do you love to bake?