Long beach days and longer cocktail evenings watching the sunset ... Summer bring some amazing things, but unfortunately all that time in the sun can cause havoc for your hair; frizz, damage and brittleness to name a few.
But, don't panic - there are some simple ways to combat damage!
Bodyshop coconut oil pre-shampoo oil / LUSH Blousey / Bodyshop Shea HairCare / Fekkai Ultra Rich Mask / Bumble&Bumble Repair Masque / Redken All Soft mega hair care / Palmers hair polishger serum / Bodyshop Banana Mask /
Just like protecting your skin from those intense sun rays, your hair needs some help too. Hair is likely to be much dryer in the summer which can lead to an intolerable amount of dreaded frizz. To stop frizz in its tracks switch up your hair care to something more rich in moisture;
- Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner a few times a week
- Choose a nourishing hair mask to apply once a week - if your hair is extra dry, though, then try to use it twice weekly.
- A tiny pea-sized amount of a hair oil or a serum is the perfect way to finish your routine. Simply use your fingers to work it through the hair, focusing on the ends, and avoid using too much - particularly if you have thin hair - or your hair could end up appearing greasy and limp.
LOCK IT IN
Frederic Fekkai Pre-soleil mist / Bumble&Bumble daytime repair fluid / Aussie Hair insurance Spray / Bella&Bear Brush on you detangler / Noughty Thirst aid spray / Cake mane manage'r / HealthySexyHair tri-wheat leave-in /
Swimming in chlorinated pools can strip hair of its naturally made protective oils - however, skipping the pool and opting for a dip in the ocean is not without its downsides; some seas have a very high salt content which pulls water out of the hair leaving it parched and dried out.
- Saturate your hair before you even set foot in the water. The hair can only absorb so much water (salt or pool), so if you ensure it is soaked with fresh cold water first of all then there will be no room for chemicals and salt, equalling less damage from the get-go.
- You can also spritz you hair with a leave in conditioner after your swim - work it through your hair with our Bella&Bear Brush on You Detangler for tangle free, smooth locks.
AVOID THE HEAT
Okay, so, realistically no one is going to go all Summer long without using a little heat on the hair. But, if you're going to do it, do it wisely.
- Try to limit heat on hair to twice weekly to minimise damage
- Use hair styling (such as braids) to achieve hair looks rather than heat tools
STYLE IT SMART
Even if you have taken care of your hair you may still end up with a little frizz - so rather than adding more products and heat, style your way out of it.
- Slick your hair back into a high ponytail and tie with a stylish head scarf
- Side braid your hair for those beach days and finish with a wide brim hat
- Tight braid your hair at night to reveal beachy waves the next day - this avoids using heat too!
What are your top Summer haircare tips?! Be sure to share tour #bellaandbearbabes summer snaps with us on Insta for a chance to be featured on our gird, too!